Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How did I wind up trying to get published? And where the hell is my agent?

How did I wind up trying to get published? That's a good question. One I wouldn't have dreamed of asking myself until recently. It all started a couple of years ago when my wife and I were discussing the last of I don't know how many bad movies in a row, when I told her about this story that was bouncing around in my head. Next thing you know, after a lot of hard work the completed manuscript of Ruby's Prayer is on my desk and I'm telling myself it won't be long before it will be in the bookstores. But here we are a few months later, and the manuscript is still on my desk becauase it hasn't been picked up by a major publisher. Looking back, I guess it wasn't such a good idea to send out the first few query letters with the title, 'Whose ass do I have to kiss to get my book read?' Oh well, live and learn.
I put the finishing touches on the novel right about the time I convinced myself an agent would swoop down from out of the clouds, give me his best sales pitch on why I should sign with him instead of all the other loser agencies, nervously wring his hands until I finally signed my name to the dotted line, then quickly grab the contract before the ink was dry and take off out the door screaming with glee as he dialed his New York boss on his cell phone to give him the anxiously awaited news.
I wonder what happened to that guy? Where the hell is he? I would have never guessed he wouldn't have shown up by now. Maybe his flight was canceled, or his car won't start, or he joined the Peace Corp, or his boat is REALLY slow, or (insert bullshit excuse here). Anyway, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I finally do cross paths with the right agent because everyone who has read Ruby's Prayer believes it is a great story, but if anyone knows who or where that man or woman is, I would greatly appreciate it if you would direct them to this website, particulaly the contact link. I promise I won't give him or her any grief for not showing up until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment